CSAG Online Short Course advert below. Additional information available in below text.
The online course structure combines live lectures, formal and informal discussions, interactive exercises, and group working sessions. The taught course component will be complemented by practical learning journey work, which will enable participants to apply their knowledge and work/network with other participants.
Time commitment per day – (Synchronous course)
08.30am-16.30pm SAST (with tea/coffee & lunch breaks)
SKILLS YOU’LL ACQUIRE
- Participants will contribute to and gain a better understanding of the overarching landscape of climate risk and the concepts that frame climate risk such as systems, complexity, and the risk and resilience landscape.
- Participants will gain an understanding of key concepts associated with hazards, how hazards drive risks and will be introduced to the approaches (including processes and decisions) that are involved in understanding hazards.
- Participants will gain a better understanding of the importance of energy in the climate system and are introduced to climate dynamics that affect risk.
- Participants will gain an understanding of how the concepts of risk, vulnerability and adaptation have evolved over time and will be introduced to the most recent thinking related to these.
- Participants will be exposed to a range of approaches for understanding and quantifying vulnerability and risk.
- Participants will gain an understanding of how vulnerability and risk assessments can inform planning.
- Participants will be introduced to the concept of science to society communication and the formal frameworks and techniques involved.
- Banking details will be sent to successful candidates through an invoice.
- All payments must be made directly into the University of Cape Town bank account.
- If preferable full fees amounts can be paid upfront if it is inconvenient to make a deposit payment and then an additional outstanding fee payment amount.
- Please make sure payments are made with the reference provided and a proof of payment is emailed as requested.
- This enables us to track payments within the University and secure your place on the course.
- No cash, cheques or credit card payments will be accepted for this course.
CONTACT FOR QUERIES
Any questions or queries please feel free to send Kate Kloppers an email – climate @ csag.uct.ac.za